Painting the Landscape
Experience the excitement and immediacy of painting “en plein air” as you work to capture the landscape and its ever changing light from life.
- the observation of light and colour in the landscape
- selection and composition of your subject
- the introduction and development of form, value and colour
- the use of deliberate brushmarks to communicate form and texture
- how to work directly from the landscape "en plein air"
During the term, the classes will take place both in the studio and in the landscape, enabling you to develop the foundational techniques and approaches for landscape painting, and to work “en plein air”, directly observing and capturing your own experience of the natural landscape.
Overview of this Art Class
Your tutor will provide guidance on the following aspects of landscape painting
- Identifying and selecting subjects for the inspiration of distinctive and dynamic artworks
- Principles of light and colour in the landscape to better understand how light and colour interact, are experienced within the landscape, and can be captured on the canvas
- Artwork composition and design.
- The use of preliminary sketches for the study of the landscape and the development of painting ideas
- Pallette and colour selection
- Value and colour stratedgy “key in” a painting and establish the tone and colour map
- Direct and indirect painting approaches that can be used to depict the effects of light and atmosphere
- Plein Air approaches and strategies to effectively create artworks from direct experienc
Studios Dates Times
|Studio||Day||Start Date||No of Weeks||Start Time||End Time||Tutor||Price||Notes|
|Hornsby||Wednesday||4 Aug 2021||8||10:00 am||1:00 pm||Matthew Weatherstone||$420|
Small canvas boards or timber painting panels
Brushes (flat and filbert of varying sizes)
Linseed oil or lean medium
Old rags or paper towel
2 Jars/containers with secure lids
For Outdoor Classes
Sunscreen, hat and other sun protection •
Drink bottle •
Suitable clothing •
Portable chair or stool if required