Anime and Manga Art Course
Learn How to Draw Anime-Manga Style Characters
Collaborate live via video with your tutor and other students in the Sydney Art School Online Art Studio!!
In this course you will;
- gain a brief overview of the history and development of the style,
- learn what makes anime and manga a unique style of art,
- learn the rules of manga proportions and shape and
- examine different examples and trends.
Your tutor will draw live on your screen, so you can follow along with every example step-by-step at home. Your tutor will answer questions and show examples in real time.
Overview of this Art Class
In this course you will cover:
- A Brief introduction to Manga and Anime, examining different examples through the history of the style - looking at character designs from My Hero Academia, One Piece, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Pokemon, Naruto, Dragonball, Astroboy, Studio Ghibli and more, with a brief overview of the differences between shounen, shojo, seinen, josei, and kodomomuke
- Basic proportions - what is different about anime and manga characters to other styles of drawing? Looking at more realistic characters all the way to chibi characters
- How to construct heads and faces - correct proportions and what to look for in different characters
- Facial features - different examples and styles of eyes, nose, mouth, ears and hair
- Body proportions - different types of character bodies, from Shounen
- Hands and feet
- Expressions - facial expressions and the added symbols that convey mood or emotion (ie. large sweat drops or blushing cheeks)
- Bodies in motion - how to get your character moving and what they will look like from different angles
- Costume design - common costume designs and what they say about the character
- Designing your own character - working from reference or imagination, design your own character with guidance and feedback from your tutor.
Studios Dates Times
Studio Day Start Date No of Weeks Start Time End Time Tutor Price Notes ONLINE Thursday 7 Oct 2021 9 4:00 pm 5:30 pm Krista Brennan $350
How Does an Online Art Class Work?
An online art class at Sydney Art School is taught live by your tutor.
We use a web-conferencing system so you can see your tutor and other students in real-time. This is to make the experience as close as possible to being in the class in one of our studio locations.
Your tutor will demonstrate step by step the key elements of the class which you will then practice.
At the end of each step you will be able to show your work back to the tutor and then get feedback on what you did well and what could be improved.
At the end of the lesson you will receive a written guide to remind you of the key points and how to apply what you have learned.
What You Will Need
- Computer with a webcam
You will also need to be able to work with a laptop or have a helper who can assist you.
- Computer or drawing tablet for digital drawing
- Drawing program (e.g. Photoshop, GIMP)
- Camera or smartphone to take and email images
- Paints / Resource Kit
- Coloured Markers (e.g. Copic)