Plein Air Landscape Painting
Experience the excitement and immediacy of painting “en plein air” as you work to capture the landscape and its ever changing light from life.Days Times & Studios
Studio Day Start
Tutor Price Notes Hornsby Wednesday 27 Jan 2021 8 10:00 AM Matthew Weatherstone $420
During the course you will learn the essential plein air techniques and approaches including;
- how to select and compose your subject,
- how to effectively manage value and colour,
- use deliberate brushmarks to communicate form and suggest texture, and
- create depth and atmosphere in your image.
The first class will be in the studio and will prepare you for the final three weeks of the course where we’ll venture out into the local landscape to paint “en plein air”.
Students will be notified of changes to the class plan and location in the occurrence of unfavourable weather.
Your tutor will provide guidance on the following aspects of plein air painting.
- Searching for and selecting your subject matter - identify interesting and unique subjects that will inspire distinctive and engaging artworks
- Plein air set up - how to set up so that you can concentrate on the scene and your artwork
- Artwork composition and design - create an inviting and active composition through selection and alteration of your scene or subject
- Preliminary sketches - refine and develop ideas with preliminary drawings -
- Drawing with paint - establish the painting plan with painted line -
- Principles of light and colour in the landscape - understand how light and colour interact and are experienced within the landscape -
- Value and colour planning - learn to “key in” a painting, establishing the tone and colour map of the imagery
- Selecting and working with a limited palette - identify the essential paints and get the most out of them
- Strategies to work efficiently and effectively to achieve the desired result - identify and understand the approaches that will enable you to successfully capture an ever changing scene