Painting and Drawing for Beginners
A foundation course in drawing and painting skills for absolute beginners.
If you are new to art or extending your artistic skills there are many benefits in developing painting and drawing skills at the same time. You will find that improving your drawing ability will accelerate your progress in painting.
Drawing more accurately means you can move into the painting phase sooner, reducing distractions from trying to "fix" mistakes in the drawing, letting you focus more time on developing your painting.
This art class will introduce you to different approaches to the process of drawing and planning phase before you begin to paint. You will be taught how to develop your drawing into a painting and understand how the two skills come together to create a finished piece of art.
Overview of this Art Class
During this art course you will produce a series of drawings from:
- references images from the "masters",
- contemporary artists, as well as
- in studio observational drawing using still life composition.
Initially you will be introduced to a variety of drawing techniques and materials designed to improve your accuracy and knowledge. These skills will form the foundation for the development of paintings that will be undertaken in the latter part of the course
Along the way you will be guided on how to improve your drawing skills particularly with respect to;
- techniques and tips to create an accurate drawing
- how to perceive and render light and dark values in preparation for painting
- use of line and tone
During the painting part of the course you will be encouraged to develop your own ideas from the drawing phase into a finished painting, either of your own choosing or from a set piece.
Concepts and artistic skills you will learn include;
- The advantages and disadvantages of oil and acrylic painting
- Choosing the appropriate art materials
- Colour mixing
- How to use underpainting to create depth and substance
- Developing and extending your personal style
Studios Dates Times
|Hornsby||Monday||19 Apr 2021||8||7:00 PM||Samantha Wiltshire||$360|
|Baulkham Hills||Monday||19 Apr 2021||8||7:00 PM||Matthew Weatherstone||$360|
|Hornsby||Tuesday||20 Apr 2021||8||7:00 PM||Peter Mackie||$360|
In this course you will learn how to;
• explore ideas, techniques and historical and contemporary painting and drawwing practice and choose techniques to support your own work
• identify and acquire resources required to complete a chosen work
• adapt and use combined painting and drawing techniques to create a single major work or multiple paintings and drawings that show technical proficiency in chosen techniques
• review and document the work process.
- A Visual diary or A3 sketch book,
- Graphite pencils 2B, 4B, 6B, sharpener & eraser
- Set of paints & brushes (can be acrylics or oils)
- Something to paint your major work on. You can choose A3 sized ready made canvas or primed board or masonite. Some art shops also sell canvas paper which is a great option if you are doing a lot of painting exercises.
- Optional: a set of coloured pencils
If you don't already have some of these items you might like to purchase a resource kit that contains all of the essentials.