Silversmithing and Jewellery Design Classes
Learn how to create a personal & priceless piece of jewelry
Studios Dates Times
|Day||Time||Studio||Next Course Date||Duration||Pirce|
|Tuesday||10am - 2pm||Hornsby||17 October 2017||
LIMIT OF 5 STUDENTS
Students to purchase resource kit containing all materials needed for the term to make two pieces (see below for details)
Overview of this Art Class
Creating Jewelry is a timeless art form. A common theme in art history, it spans all cultures and continents and was a foundation practice of many master artists.
When you handcraft jewelry from precious metals and stone they become piece of art - something highly personal and priceless - the perfect lifelong gift for a partner, loved one or friend. As the artist you put your own personality into the piece and take it to a level beyond mundane mass produced items.
The practice of silversmithing is enjoyable, creative, tactile and meditative. The skills required are not intuitive but can be easily learned with proper instruction and equipment. Your tutors will teach you the skills needed to create a stunning finished piece. Students will be assigned projects of increasing complexity depending on their level of skill.
- Silver Ring
- Simple pendant
- Ring with Stone
- Pendant with Stone
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, no sandals or thongs and have long hair tied back. We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
Some of the things you will learn include:
- Elements of design & what makes a piece successful
- Annealing (process to softten metal)
- Techniques to pierce metal
- How to make a ring to size
- How to use a jewelers saw frame
- How to use a jewelers saw and change blades
- How to work on a jewelers peg
- Using jewelers' files
- Forging metal (how to manipulate metal with a hammer and textured stamps).
- Silver soldering
- Creating a polished finishsweat soldering,
- doming, and
- Make small jump rings and various kinds of earing hooks.
- How to produce 2 identical pieces.
- Cabochon stone setting.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
New students will need to purchase the Resource Kit for the basic Sterling Silver Ring & Pendant Projects.