1300 ART CLASS - 1300 278 252
  Online Chat

Student Visa - English Language Proficiency Requirements

International Students seeking entry to Sydney Art School courses need to meet English Language Proficiency Requirements.

Before we issue a Certificate of Enrolment (CoE) we will assess whether your qualifications, experience and English language proficiency are appropriate for the course for which enrolment is sought.

The English Language Proficiency requirements are aligned with the minimum eligibility requirements for a student visa as set down by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs which are detailed at https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/student-500#Eligibility and also copied below in this article...

We also suggest that you review the Department of Home Affairs document checklist tool to see what proof you may need to provide with your visa application. 

You can find out more about the Australian Govenment Subclass 500 Student Visa at this link.


English language test score requirements

English language test providersMinimum test scoreMinimum test score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOSMinimum test score where combined with at least 20 weeks ELICOS
International English Language Testing System 5.5 5 4.5
TOEFL internet based test 46 35 32
Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) 162 154 147
Pearson Test of English Academic 42 36 30
Occupational English Test B for each test component N/A N/A

The test must have been taken no more than two years before you apply for your student visa.


English language exemptions

If one of the following applies, you do not need to provide evidence of an English test score with your visa application:
  • you are enrolled in full-time school studies as a principal course including in a secondary exchange programme, a postgraduate research course, a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), and Foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored students
  • you have completed at least five years’ study in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland
  • you are a citizen and hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland
  • in the two years before applying for the student visa, you completed, in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while you held a student visa.


Print Email